Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dad - Day 3

Well....here we are....Day 3 in the ICU.

Today has been a rough day.

On the way into the hospital around 11, I got a phone call from the doctor saying that dad had a rough start to the day. He had some more irregular heart beats and his pain was still really bad. They were concerned that this was a combination of his lung issues, as well as some cardiac issues. They consulted a cardiologist and she agreed that dad was experiencing some cardiac issues and most likely a small heart attack. Because of his risk factors and his current state, the decided to plan for a heart cath. Initially we were going to go thru with it for Monday, but after I started thinking about it, Dad is not going to be able to lay flat for the procedure and for 6 hours after. He has been sitting up in a chair position for the past few days. They had already started medically managing him, and have him on a nitroglycerin drip, so the cardiologist believes that we should wait a few days until his lung issues improve.

He is still getting his PCA pain medication and had gotten some medication in between for his heart related chest pain.

I made him a meatloaf, since he had been talking about it, and he took a few bites. He is eating some chicken and dumplings right now, and has ate more than I expected.

This afternoon he is really confused. He doesn't realize that he is in the hospital most of the time and keeps thinking that we are going out to dinner. He also keeps asking who is here when he hears the nurses at the desk.

In his clear moments, he has vowed that he will not smoke again and has said that he will do whatever the doctors say he needs to do. I think this has all scared him straight, although I have seen this in the past, just not to this extreme. I hope and pray he keeps to his promises!

He has been nice to everyone, for the most part. Occasionally he lets out a grumpy statement, but I am impressed he has done so well. He has pulled off his oxygen and pulled at his O2 sat probe a few times, but after I reorient him, he calms down. I have warned the nurses that they may be in for it tonight. Hopefully he will just sleep all night!

After all of this cardiac stuff began, I called mom and she started making arrangements to come home. She should arrive around 10:30 tonight and I have a feeling she will come straight here. She is stressing out horribly, and although I understand, I hope she can hold it together once she is here!

Again, I appreciate all of the support! Please do not think we are ignoring phone calls or texts! I appreciate them all. I have just had a hard time responding to all of them and I am sure mom has too.

I will keep the updates coming, and please keep the prayers and thoughts coming!

Thanks again!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Becca. What a situation to be in. It almost sounds like a 1-step forward/2-step back kind of thing. The heart stuff is a little scary to deal with. I sure hope he gets better & starts really improving soon. Definitely sounds like you're his anchor at the moment (until mom gets there anyway - then you may be anchor for both). Just remember to take time & care for yourself in the process. I know you must be really busy, but I'm always here if you need to talk.

    Praying for a speedy recovery!!!

    Good Luck & Best Wishes To Your Family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Keeping you guys in my prayers and hoping he starts feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca:
    Thanks for the update as I will print it for Sharon. Poor Richard as he must be in pain and he has always had a big heart for everyone. Milt & Sharon

    ReplyDelete