Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dad - Day 13

Well, I first must apologize for taking a few days off....things are fine, but to tell you the truth, I really was just too tired to type!!!

Let me catch you all up to speed.....

I left the hospital on Sunday morning, about 11ish, after spending the whole night there. Mom stayed with him that whole day and then spent the night, since he just seemed like he needed a little extra TLC. On Sunday they decided to remove his chest tube, since it really wasn't in place anymore. He did ok through the night and was doing fine even when mom left.

I basically slept off and on all day Sunday and Sunday night, trying to catch up on way overdue sleep. My plan was to head into the hospital late morning/early afternoon on Monday, after mom got home. When Mom left, my Aunt Debbie ended up going to the hospital, so I decided to catch up on all of my bills and papers that have been piling up. She called at about 1 and said that they had gotten the results of his CAT scan from that morning and had decided that he needed another chest tube. I was so relieved that she was there!!! Dad was very agreeable and said he was fine with it as long as they sedated him. I spoke with the NP on the phone and headed to the hospital.

By the time I got there, the chest tube was in, and in a more comfortable spot that the previous one, and dad was sitting up eating. Aunt Debbie headed home and I visited with Dad. He again asked why he just couldn't go home and I broke the news to him that the doctor said it would probably be another week or two before surgery. I also explained that he couldn't come home until the chest tube could stay out for a few days and also that he could walk. So far, he has only been able to transfer from the bed to the chair and is very week. I also tried to make him realize that he is an hour away from our house and that if, God forbid, something go wrong, he would have to go to a smaller hospital that won't be able to manage his needs as well. He seemed to understand, but is discouraged. I also told him that if I saw any opportunity, I would bring him home, and honestly, I would. He just has to be stable and be able to walk....we have done the IV antibiotic thing before at home, and I will do it again in a heart beat.

Mom started working from home again on Monday, so after she left in the morning, she wasn't able to come back. I also left a little early, about 7, to try to get things done around the house and get Delainey ready for her Tuesday morning dance class. Delainey has been doing very well, but she is feeling the stress and I am trying to give her as much of her normalcy back as I can. Auntie is still here from California, and has been so helpful just hanging out and playing with her.....she definitely needs the attention!

Tuesday, Mom headed to the hospital very early so she could spend a few hours with him before having to start work. She is working on California hours, so she has to be back home by 11 to start work. I took Delainey to dance and then Auntie, Delainey and I grabbed a quick lunch. We also grabbed a few things that dad had requested....some things to pass the time. We got home and I got my stuff together to head to the hospital. On my way, I took a different road, thinking it would be faster and got a speeding ticket! UGH! First ever!!! The cop asked where I was headed and I said to the hospital. He asked if there was an emergency and I said that my dad was in ICU and was pretty sick but that there was no actual emergency and he gave me a ticket. Ok.....yes I was speeding, though I didn't know that at the time....really I thought the speed limit was higher, but oh well, I suppose I deserved the ticket....just wish the guy had more compassion!!!!!

When I finally got on the freeway, I got a call from a friend who needed some help, so I changed direction and headed back that way. Although I wanted to go see dad, sometimes the schedule needs to be adjusted a bit, and honestly, I know that my friends are there for me when I need them and I like to be there for them, too! I went and picked my friend up and we both headed to visit dad for a bit.

Dad is a bit sad, but I think a lot of that has to do with the room he is in. They call it "the cave" and he is all the way back in a corner with now window or anything to look at. The hospital is so busy that this was the only room. After 10 days of being in this room, I am sure anyone would be sad. Well, mom had already told me before I saw him, but apparently his new chest tube had pulled out during the night. The doctors decided to wait and see how he does, and so far he was doing good. He was off his oxygen and has been eating great. He just needs to get his strength up! I think he enjoyed having a new visitor too, because he seemed much more lively when he was chatting with my friend...just talking about Nascar and guy stuff. I think it was good for him to have someone to talk to besides us, because we tend to have more serious discussions. We didn't stay long, because we had to take care of some things for my friend, but dad was very understanding. They were also waiting for a room for dad, and were finally going to transfer him....after 2 cancelled transfer orders! At about 11 last night, they called and said that they moved him, so I am glad. I think a few days in a new room will do a lot for him!

Mom is there now, before working, and she took Auntie with her. Delainey will be going to school today, so Auntie will spend the day with dad and I will try to go up before I head to work. I am going to try to head back to work tonight and want to try to work as much as I can, so that I can be home with him when he gets home. My work says they are not expecting to see me, but I am planning to be there! Mom says that dad is doing ok, but still a bit sad. She also said one of my friends was there visiting after she had worked her shift at the hospital...thank you Brenda for checking on dad!!

After yesterday, I actually felt a little better. I think dealing with someone else's emergency situation was kind of like a mental break from our situation. It was still a bit stressful and everything, but seeing a fresh face and taking a break from the walls of the hospital was a nice change.....wish it wasn't under the circumstances that it was, but none the less, it was nice to focus on something different!

Well, I must go do laundry and run a few errands and try to catch a nap before work. The next few days will only be short updates since I will be getting them second hand. I don't think I will make it to the hospital with working and everything! Thank you for your continued prayers and support! And sorry for taking a few days off!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, you're making me tired!!! I'm glad to hear he's doing better. I can't blame him for being down, I think in that situation & for that length of time anyone would feel the same way. I hope things settle down and that you're able to return to the normal (so to speak).

    Continued thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery!!!

    Good Luck & Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete